- County Boards
By Howard M. O’Cull, Ed.D.,
West Virginia School Board Association Executive Director
The following is a listing of active Senate and House of Delegates public education and public education-related bills and resolutions considered during the West Virginia Legislature’s 2012 Regular Session. These bills have completed legislative action and are awaiting consideration by the governor.
When reviewing the list, please keep the following considerations in mind:
- I have used the bill short title in every instance except when I determined the title may “obscure” the measure’s relation to public education.
- If an Enrolled Bill (final version) is not available on the West Virginia Legislature’s Website, I have omitted links to “earlier” versions of that particular legislation.
- Bills reported from either the Senate or House Education Committees are highlighted.
- In terms of Resolutions, the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Government and Finance may authorize the study of various topics without passage of a formal resolution by both houses. This is often the case in terms of legislative interim meeting studies.
- The listing of bills and resolutions may not be exhaustive and is based on bills I have tracked for the W. Va. School Board Association (WVSBA).
- Please refer to the West Virginia Legislature’s Website for more information: http://www.legis.state.wv.us
- Senate Bill 371. Providing school system under declared state of emergency participate as innovation zone pilot project. (Had been vetoed by the Governor March 15, 2012, for technical reasons.) The measure, as “corrected,” was “re-passed” by the Legislature today.
- Senate Bill 469. Relating generally to other post-employment benefits.
- House Bill 4072. Eliminating requirement that county boards meet on the first Monday of July annually. http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hb4072%20ENR.htm&yr=2012&sesstype=RS&i=4072
- House Bill 4299. Authorizing a county board of education to use the services of a bus operator from another county in certain circumstances. http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hb4299%20ENR.htm&yr=2012&sesstype=RS&i=4299